With approximately 8000 undergraduate and 45 postgraduate students, the Department of Communication Science is one of the largest at the UFS. Note that in South Africa the qualification B.A. (Communication Science): Corporate and Marketing Communication is only offered at the UFS.
The communication discipline has its roots in the study of rhetoric, journalism, sociology, psychology, and philosophy, and is therefore interdisciplinary in nature.
We are phasing in new undergraduate and postgraduate courses in order to meet the demands of the industry. The following principles underpin the new degrees in the Programme of Communication Professions:
- the content must be significant to Communication Science as a proud, recognised, and organised field of knowledge;
- it must be interesting, relevant, and useful to advance the personal development of each student; and
- the teaching aims and learning outcomes must make a meaningful contribution to the growth and development of a democratic society in Africa and lead to a formal, work-related qualification.
Communication science includes journalism and media studies (including new media), as well as corporate and marketing communication. Prospective undergraduate and postgraduate students can enrol in one of the aforementioned focus areas knowing that they will be adequately equipped for appropriate employment opportunities upon completion of their studies.
The decision to specialise at postgraduate level in the mother discipline (communication science) enables a person to make a contribution in many societal fields as a well-rounded communication practitioner.
The Department of Communication Science offers the following courses:
- B.A. (Communication Science): Corporate and Marketing Communication
- B.A. (Communication Science): Media Studies and Journalism
- B.A. Hons. (Communication Science)
- B.A. Hons. (Communication Science): Media Studies and Journalism
- B.A. Hons. (Communication Science): Corporate and Marketing Communication
- M.A. (Communication Science)
- M.A. (Communication Science): Media Studies and Journalism
- M.A. (Communication Science): Corporate and Marketing Communication
The Department is also home of Communitas, a nationally accredited academic journal for Community Communication and Information Impact. The journal is published annually.
Prof Johann (JC) De Wet, Editor
+27(0)51 401 2867
Last updated: 28 January 2016 14:29